Skip to main content

the year without a santa...

the Mongolian Christmas edition of quirks and joys:

1. We went to the black market on Monday looking for some vegetables and a kitten. There were plenty of puppies but we knew we couldn't get one because they get too big. So I decided to tell the man standing next to us, trying to give me his business card about pets, that we wanted a cat. He started making a small motion with his hands. And finally he said "mini cat." I was like, "Yes!! a mini cat!" He asked us if we wanted a man or woman mini cat, got our number, made a phone call, then he said our cat would be there in 2 hours.

Not even 10 minutes after we left, I got a phone call saying, "Your mini cat has arrived." So, we turned around and got ripped off, I'm sure. We payed 13,000 tugrugs for him, that's around 10 dollars. The guy pronounced to everyone around "arron-goro" (13) as if to tell the world how much he got from us. It was hilarious.

We named him, Dobby, after the house elf in Harry Potter. He is nuts, like all "mini-cats" and we really enjoy his energy. He is already spoiled and sleeps right in the middle of us in the bed we share :)


2. I view walking outside for any amount of time as free botox. I can't feel my face while I'm outside or for a period of time after I come inside.

3. As I've mentioned before, I heard that the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales meet at -30 degrees. The scales have been kissing each other quite frequently as of late. And they say, it's only going to get colder.

4. I drink tea like a Mongolian now. I can't keep the tea bag in my mug for too long because there is like a flavor explosion if I do. My tastes buds might be dying. I can now get 3 cups of tea from one bag of tea.

5. I ate horse meat for the first time recently. We have heard that horse is their winter meat. The best (and scariest) thing about eating horse meat is that I didn't hate it.

6. While teaching my English class about and, but, or and food items. I learned that many Mongolians "...do like horse meat, but do not like chicken." That seems impossible.

7. Christmas in Mongolia is an oxymoron. They call the Christmas tree a New Year tree. They have NO idea who Santa is and they really don't know what exchanging gifts is about. It is so weird because they do have some Christmas trees up but it's just like a big "Sike!!"

It is so difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that I live in a place that has never heard about Santa and even harder to comprehend that some people have never even heard the name Jesus.

As hard as it is to be here during the Christmas season, it is really beautiful to get to share with them and teach them about a season I love. The moment when I can help someone understand Christmas and all of it's incredible meaning is a life-changing moment for me.

I pray that your Christmas is filled. Please spend time with your family for me and enjoy every beautiful part of this season.

Joy to the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

creepin'

Sorry about posting 3 times in one day but hopefully this one will have a little more meaning than the other two (although, they are funny). Last week we were having dinner with two girls that are working in different capacities here in UB. They have both been here for about a year or more and they were telling us about their adjustment experiences. They affirmed our rough beginnings but then they kept talking about Mongolia, after adjustments. They said that Mongolia has a way of getting under your skin. It really grows on you and you can't help but love it. One of the girls was talking about how for a while, and even still now, she tries to shield her skin, she's not ready to love Mongolia yet. I've been feeling that same way. I want to shield my skin because part of me is afraid of loving this place. Today we went to Terelj National Park with the Seo's (the missionary family that is here). We went to go have a picnic and see the park. Their girls went and it was a lo

frozen things.

I can't believe I forgot about this quirk. I think you'll understand why I decided to post it...it might even deserve the lone post. You be the judge. 7. A few times this week I've had the pleasure of getting to go to a Mongolian bathroom. If you're confused about what this means, see picture: That is an outhouse. It is below freezing in Mongolia every day. People use out houses for tinkling and pooping. Imagine this: mounds of frozen poop.

flipped-turned upside down.

Let me begin with the confession that I honestly don't know where to begin and that is ok. I have been learning that there is value in whatever feeling that you are feeling and that you should embrace it, experience and move on from it, not to dwell in that feeling. Feelings are natural, they ebb and flow. I have been in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia for a little over a week now. Today was the very first day I began to feel comfortable here. I even felt a little at home. Transitioning to life in Mongolia has been more difficult than I expected. I am not even quite sure I can accurately express it in words. But, to give you a tiny grasp of how I'm feeling, let me quote a little something from the respected and awfully wise...Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, " Now, this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down..." Erin and I have had many conversations and prayers expressing our feelings that are lives have become a jumbled mess, flipped and turned upside down (