Skip to main content

photographs.

A while ago while walking to church from my bus stop I turned around to make sure a car wasn't about to run over me (that is a common concern) and I was stunned. What I saw when I turned around was the most beautiful view of the mountains.

Ulaanbaatar is a little city (the biggest in Mongolia) set in the middle of the mountains. It is a rare occasion in the winter that you can see more than 10 feet in front of you. The smog is usually so thick you can barely breathe.

But that day, you could see. It wasn't clear by any stretch of the imagination but it stopped me. Right there, on the side of the road, I stopped and I stared at this beautiful place that I call home.

For a minute I thought to myself , "I wish I had my camera." Then I realized that I was grateful I didn't. Lately I have been thinking about the things that are un-capturable (new word, probably) by a photograph.

I love the idea of filling my heart with photographs that maybe no one else will ever see. It is like only sharing some things with the creator of the universe. Or maybe I just want to remember things a little grander than they actually were. Either way, I want a filled heart.

Remembering that morning brings me to a new understanding of sight. Those mountains were always there. Although they were covered by thick smog, I don't think I was looking for them.

As my love for Mongolia grows with each day I am brought to new realities. I am brought to realities about what it truly means to be living life alongside my brothers and sisters. I have found new realities about God's love for His Sheep and how that translates into my life. I have found a new reality about what it means to live a life of presence.

Through a conversation this morning, I became convicted about my understanding of seeing and hearing God. I like to believe that different and new situations bring us to places where we can better hear God speaking to us. I don't believe that is true. My new reality is that He speaks to us everywhere, we just have to pay attention.

It's like the mountains--they did not disappear behind the smog and reappear when I was paying attention. They were always there. The smog isn't always the only thing blinding us. We have to come to the reality that we are part of the blinding.

I am thankful for the days where I am convicted. I'm thankful that I serve a God filled with forgiveness. I am thankful that I am not only forgiven but free to be changed. I am free to fill my heart with photographs.

I can see the mountains everyday.

Comments

  1. Hm.... sounds like a familiar conversation. :)

    Also, sometimes, if we have a camera in our hands, ready to capture those brilliant and beautiful moments, we spend so much time looking through the lense that we miss everything else....

    I'm happy that you didnt have your camera too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember on many different trips I would take picture after picture, but it was the times when I didn't have my camera that the moment was most reflecting and memorable. It made me pay attention to the details and the greatness of the image more...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

creepin'

Sorry about posting 3 times in one day but hopefully this one will have a little more meaning than the other two (although, they are funny). Last week we were having dinner with two girls that are working in different capacities here in UB. They have both been here for about a year or more and they were telling us about their adjustment experiences. They affirmed our rough beginnings but then they kept talking about Mongolia, after adjustments. They said that Mongolia has a way of getting under your skin. It really grows on you and you can't help but love it. One of the girls was talking about how for a while, and even still now, she tries to shield her skin, she's not ready to love Mongolia yet. I've been feeling that same way. I want to shield my skin because part of me is afraid of loving this place. Today we went to Terelj National Park with the Seo's (the missionary family that is here). We went to go have a picnic and see the park. Their girls went and it was a lo

flipped-turned upside down.

Let me begin with the confession that I honestly don't know where to begin and that is ok. I have been learning that there is value in whatever feeling that you are feeling and that you should embrace it, experience and move on from it, not to dwell in that feeling. Feelings are natural, they ebb and flow. I have been in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia for a little over a week now. Today was the very first day I began to feel comfortable here. I even felt a little at home. Transitioning to life in Mongolia has been more difficult than I expected. I am not even quite sure I can accurately express it in words. But, to give you a tiny grasp of how I'm feeling, let me quote a little something from the respected and awfully wise...Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, " Now, this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down..." Erin and I have had many conversations and prayers expressing our feelings that are lives have become a jumbled mess, flipped and turned upside down (

frozen things.

I can't believe I forgot about this quirk. I think you'll understand why I decided to post it...it might even deserve the lone post. You be the judge. 7. A few times this week I've had the pleasure of getting to go to a Mongolian bathroom. If you're confused about what this means, see picture: That is an outhouse. It is below freezing in Mongolia every day. People use out houses for tinkling and pooping. Imagine this: mounds of frozen poop.